Posts for tag: restorative dentistry
One of the best ways to protect teeth that have undergone restorative procedures is using crowns. You dentist in Temple, TX, Dr. Derek Winegar, is more than happy to tell you more about crowns and their benefits.
What are dental crowns:
Crowns look like caps and are made of porcelain. Your Temple dentist takes an impression of your teeth and sends them to a lab where the dental crown is custom made just for you. In the meantime though, you're given a temporary crown.
So why get a dental crown anyway?
During restorative procedures, such as root canals, a significant amount of natural tooth is removed. This leaves the tooth exposed to decay and susceptible to breakage, which is why a dental crown is placed over the tooth. The dental crown reinforces the tooth and allows it to withstand various degrees of pressure, meaning you can enjoy eating without the worry of ruining your tooth.
Here are some other procedures that use dental crowns:
- Attaching bridges
- Covering dental implants
- Protecting a tooth that can't be restored with a dental filling
- Covering stained or discolored teeth
How do I take care of my crowns?
- It goes without saying that you need to brush twice a day and floss before bed. However, make sure to give special attention to the area around your dental crown. It's important to avoid plaque to reduce the chances of cavities forming near the dental restoration.
- In addition to brushing and flossing, your diet can contribute to your crowns lasting up to 8 years, or more. Don't bite into ice and avoid sugary foods like soda and candy. Sugars contain the bacteria that produce plaque. So try eating healthy foods like apples and carrots that scrape the plaque off your teeth and incorporate more water into your diet.
- Bruxism, when someone grinds their teeth, can reduce how long your crowns last as well. So make sure you find a solution for it with your dentist, like getting a mouth guard or splints.
For more information on dental crowns and what they can do for you, contact Dr. Derek Winegar in Temple, TX, as soon as possible.
Are you looking for a long-term solution for replacing your missing permanent teeth?
While tooth loss can be embarrassing and frustrating, you’ll be happy to hear that our Temple, TX, dentist Dr. Derek Winegar offers a full range of options to meet everyone’s specific needs. Of course, if you are looking for a restoration that most closely resembles a real tooth, then it’s time to consider dental implants.
Dental implant can be the most reliable and long-term solution for replacing your missing teeth. It’s important to understand as much as you can about this treatment before you decide whether it’s the right option for you. Here are some things you should know about getting dental implants in Temple, TX:
Since the implant replaces missing tooth roots, it’s only natural that it will need to be placed into the jawbone. After all, the bone and tissue surrounding the implant will heal around the implant, making it a permanent structure within your mouth.
It will take time to get your new tooth: Patience is key when it comes to getting dental implants. It can take several months, depending on certain factors, for the implant to bond with your jawbone. Of course, many patients find it to be a small price to pay for having a restoration that can last a lifetime with proper care.
The restoration functions like real teeth: If you want a tooth replacement that is as close as you can get to a natural tooth, a dental implant is it. You won’t find another restoration that naturally fuses together with your mouth and you won’t find one as durable or reliable.
Are you ready to take the plunge and get dental implants to replace your missing teeth? If so, the dental implant experts at City Creek Dental in Temple, TX, are ready to help. Call us to schedule your consultation.